Thursday, January 21, 2010

5 comments:

  1. This was taken in the bedroom of the NYC apartment (which doubled as a living room by day when the futon was folded up). Tom may look silly in this photo but there was nothing silly in his determination to beat me at Scrabble. We played most nights for years and he kept careful tabs of winners and losers. I started off beating him all the time but within a few months Tom (who secretly read the dictionary at night to improve his vocabulary) was beating me on a pretty consistent basis. It will not surprise you to know that although I got the all-outs, Tom got the geniusy high scoring strategy type words that went six different ways at once. He was the original autodidact. Anything that interested him, he gave his all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this photo! For both the classic bundling up in a blanket and the Scrabble. We went back to my apartment on our first date to play Scrabble (he told me later I shouldn't be doing that with guys...but Scrabble?!... alright, he had a good point.) I can't remember if I beat him, but I do know that every time I've played since I've felt like a failure because I couldn't make a word using ALL my letter, something he did at least once each game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder he was so good at Scrabble......he never got tired of this game. We played our last game on New Year's eve but we became delighfully distracted and never finished....the Scrabble that is.No regrets!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect way to start the New Year!!!
    xoxxo
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom? Are you sure? It looks like ET! LOL! I LOVE this pix the best! I have NEVER EVER seen Tom look so...well, uh...cute!

    ReplyDelete